2021.11.28 12:28 Steven_Parker88 Scuba Diving Diver Life is better with
2021.11.28 12:28 Affectionate-Reply19 What Jazz Means to Me (quite a lot)
I might sound like a massive nerd, but bare with me. I've been into music since I was 6 years old (not that long since I am 20 now). About 5 years ago my guitar teacher told me about "So What" (the Miles Davis song :) ) and it was unlike anything I had heard up to that point. Then i tried listening to "Portrait in Jazz", but I just did not get jazz. I did not understand it and it seemed like random notes. A year ago I started learning piano and I learnt the changes to some bebop songs. This changed everything for me, as I finally started hearing the changes and jazz solos and songs finally started to makes sense to me. I've been listening to jazz almost exclusively for a year now and I learnt more than I though I would. Listening to jazz is the most rewarding music listening experience I've ever had. But more than that, I started learning about the lives of the great jazz musicians and it taught me a lot. For some reason, I empathise with jazz musicians more than with other geniuses of the 20th century. I think this is because the product of their work is music which is more immediate than say an abstract theory of the Universe or a massive book. Anyways, I read the autobiography of Miles Davis and Pete Pettinger's book on Bill Evans and this is what I got out of them:
- If you want to achieve your goals/your true potential, you will have to work like a "motherf*****" (like Miles Davis would say) and work is cool. I mean, I am a bookish person and I had a neutral attitude towards this in the past, but work is cool. Charlie Parker, Bill Evans, Miles Davis, etc. wouldn't have been the giants they are now had they not worked a lot, and being a jazz giant is pretty cool in my book.
- You just need to relax. Like many late teenagers/young adults I've struggled/I am struggling with all sort of anxieties with regards to what my future will look like and the thought that some people do not like me. Well, on one side, you cannot please everybody and that's fine. Just talk to people and if they do not like you, it's not really on you. On the other side, you need to relax and stuff will sort itself out if you do your part. I mean, in Miles Davis' autobiography I couldn't help but notice how (at least from Miles' perspective) the musicians of the bebop scene for example were chill about many of the hardships they faced and instead of complaining about the racism they faced etc, they just did their work and got the recognition they deserved eventually. Also, you can laugh about problems. Miles was saying that Dizzy Gillespie would make sometimes weird faces to caucasian women, something which I reckon was a big no in 1940's USA.
- You need to face your problems. A little contrary to the last paragraph, a lot of jazz musicians back in the day turned to narcotics in order to forget about their problems, but this turned out being counterproductive in the long run, so it's better to face your problems and sort them out. Many jazz musicians were in their best state when finally off drugs and sorted their stuff out.
- Be hip. Dressing nicely and looking "clean" (as Miles Davis would say) is cool.
- Networking is important. A lot of the jazz musicians, knew each other from clubs where they would play, but where they would also hang out ( which can be considered a form of networking). At least in the 1950s Miles Davis would mostly hire people he knew personally.
TLDR: Jazz taught me stuff about being an adult and it helped me mature. :)
submitted by Affectionate-Reply19 to Jazz [link] [comments]
2021.11.28 12:28 chrisinfanzon Found a fantastic podcast for people looking to learn!
"The Hidden Doors Podcast with Chris Infanzon" is where we focus on learning and continuous improvement. It's where we all learn together. Join the #1 self development podcast community by following the below instructions. See you there!
In YouTube type "the hidden doors podcast with Chris Infanzon" to watch my book review
submitted by chrisinfanzon to DecidingToBeBetter [link] [comments]
2021.11.28 12:28 ixography Winter came early this year to Slovakia
|submitted by ixography to gopro [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:28 xMiyuChanx trading these for rhd/robux
Rh: - rr set (1) - se set without crown and skirt (1) - rr corset (1) - val heels (1) - batmos (5) - cozy hat (1) - se sleeves (1)
Adopt me: - Goldhorn (regular and newborn) (1)
Mm2: - eggblade (1) - cookieblade (1)
Numbers means how much of an item I have in stock Feel free to offer!
submitted by xMiyuChanx to crosstradingrblx [link] [comments]
2021.11.28 12:28 marcduncan In the Night
|submitted by marcduncan to beats [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:28 WizardMama La. Tech, Grambling, LSU Health Shreveport are partnering to learn how COVID-19 is spreading
|submitted by WizardMama to Coronaviruslouisiana [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:28 Unusual__Suspect EVERY Actor in Star Wars Ep. II (and where you know them from)
|submitted by Unusual__Suspect to TheUnusualSuspect [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:28 PastaKlempner Cyberpunk 2077: Großer Next-Gen-Patch 1.5 im Q1 2022, soll sich noch über Jahre verkaufen
|submitted by PastaKlempner to PCGamingDE [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:28 kofan3678 Raquel pinning Rhea
|submitted by kofan3678 to RaquelGonzalez [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:28 viinyIrecord Is Naturalist worth it?
I've gotten nearly every role but Naturalist. I've been told it's by far the most annoying of the roles, but I would really like to get a Gypsy Cob in my stable. What are the pros and cons and is Harriet as annoying as people say? Does he get in the way of proper gameplay and hunting?
submitted by viinyIrecord to RedDeadOnline [link] [comments]
2021.11.28 12:28 Agima [100% OFF] Microsoft AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals (4 days or 906 registrations left)
|submitted by Agima to Coursemetry [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:28 postphysique Has anyone here quit a new job on the spot and gotten away with it?
I work at a pizza place as a delivery guy on a minimum wage, zero hour contract and they are constantly giving me FAR too many hours. At the very beginning they asked me how many I want and I said 20 off the top of my head, they then asked "how many maximum". I then said 25 (also off the top of my head), thinking they meant for busy weeks like Halloween and Christmas. Instead they took the 25 and just ran with it and have been giving me these horrible little micro-shifts that can be as short as 3.5 hours and as long as 5. On the rare occasion I have had shifts longer than 6 hours I've also been told I cannot take a break which is against the law, then they act all shocked when I stop working for 20 minutes to take said legally entitled break. These shifts usually average around 4 hours long and I just don't see the point in losing 5 evenings of my week to do part-time hours (as well as burning 5 days worth of commute time and petrol) when I could instead just crunch it all into the space of 2-3 days.
I've spoken to them twice about reducing my hours down to a strict 16 maximum so they don't give me so many days and both times they have agreed and fixed it for a few weeks, only to then retcon it with no warning whatsoever. I'm on a 6 month probation period and they've given me 5 days worth of shifts despite me making it abundantly clear that I don't have time, and I am really close to a breaking point now.
The problem is, I have applied for another job and I will find out tomorrow if I have it or not after a second interview shortly before, and I really like my odds for it. And I am really just sick of my managers constantly going back on their word then acting offended when I remind them that I can't do so many days, especially when it's only for a few hours a day.
I'm just curious if anyone else has any stories about doing this and whether they got into any kind of legal trouble for it. I think it's ridiculous that I have to give notice during a probation period, especially when I work minimum wage and it's not even been 2 months since I started. I've definitely never heard of anyone else I know having to do that. If I get this other job I'm thinking about just calling them and telling them I'm done, and that next time they should actually respect the very basic work-life balance I am trying to set instead of constantly lying to me. I really want to quit but I'm just scared that it'll get me into some kind of legal trouble or something
submitted by postphysique to AskUK [link] [comments]
2021.11.28 12:28 pvlsxr [LOTW] Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS Macro STM f1.8, 1/8000, ISO 3200 taker with an EOS R — A day in Copenhagen
|submitted by pvlsxr to canon [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:28 GrayGainz Never go full petard?
2021.11.28 12:28 Devastator1329 Loving seeing the plethora and variety of all these DB Hero’s leads
With the Hero’s EZA and missions out right now everyone is running the Hero leads and it’s so nice to see. While I know it won’t last :(
submitted by Devastator1329 to DBZDokkanBattle [link] [comments]
2021.11.28 12:28 batoriee "Why can't I find a gamer gf" Starter Pack
|submitted by batoriee to starterpacks [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:28 newsdk Brand på Rockwool begrænset til filteranlæg
|submitted by newsdk to newsdk [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:28 Drunik9 IYKYK
|submitted by Drunik9 to AccidentalRenaissance [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:27 Mikey2397 Jets in Houston
2021.11.28 12:27 AstronautTechnical16 Join the WE LOVE NUDES! Discord Server!
|submitted by AstronautTechnical16 to MikaliaDancer [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:27 YungBuddahAllah SSG Buddha - Why Freestyle
|submitted by YungBuddahAllah to Promote_Your_Channel [link] [comments]|
2021.11.28 12:27 Steven_Parker88 Scuba Diving Diver Life is better with
2021.11.28 12:27 DandyShandy1975 Good Morning Watch 👍 Setting Goals To Achieve Your Dreams Thanks Appreciated ❤💯
2021.11.28 12:27 cooperluna German's
|submitted by cooperluna to Pickles [link] [comments]|